Limited availability for Fall 2022/Winter 2023 Registrations
ABC’s co-operative preschool program is unique and special in that staff, parents and children work, learn and grow together. We are a family based program administered by the parents in our community. We believe that the foundation of life begins in the preschool years.
At ABC, we offer a program committed to the physical, emotional, social and cognitive development of children through a quality play based program that encompasses the 4 basic foundations of the “How Does Learning Happen” document which are belonging, engagement, well-being and expression.
- Belonging: Every child has a sense of belonging when they relate to others and contribute to the world.
- Well-Being: Every child is developing a sense of self, health, and well-being.
- Engagement: Every child is an engaged learner who explores the world with mind, body, and senses.
- Expression: Every child is a capable communicator who expresses themselves in many ways.
In recognizing that children are competent, capable and curious learners, we offer a “learn through play” atmosphere. We balance free choice and structured teacher activities where children can grow and learn at their own pace in a safe, caring and nurturing environment.
The school year is structured with a series of different activities which are complemented by crafts, songs, stories, field trips and community visitors. All of these components are designed to heighten the child’s awareness of themselves, the family and the community.
By painting, cutting and pasting, playing with puzzles, games and blocks, the children explore their artistic creativity and development fine motor skills.
Riding toys, kitchen centre, drama centre, sand and water table, sensory bin and outdoor play enhance the development of gross motor skills and co-operation.
GROUP SHARING TIME
Stories and discussions, singing and dancing are geared to current themes. Children learn to express themselves and formulate ideas with their classmates.
Through songs and activities children learn the days of the week, the months, alphabet and numbers and other skills to help their transition to kindergarten go smoothly. Daily activities include:
- letter recognition (upper and lower case)
- printing (children learn to recognize, spell and write their own name)
- sorting (colour, size, patterns)
- basic math skills
- working as a group, children learn how to co-operate and take turns, improve social skills, reasoning and manners